This discovery has been a game changer for me. First mock mashed potatoes, now rice! Who knew cauliflower could be so versatile? Once you make the “rice” you can add whatever ingredients you like to really get creative. Best news is one serving of cauliflower only has about 25 calories, zero fat, and 2 grams of tummy filling fiber!
How to make Cauliflower “Rice”
What you need: ½ head of cauliflower florets (stems removed)
What you do: In a food processor, pulse the cauliflower florets until they resemble small crumbs. Transfer to a colander and press with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
You now have cauliflower “rice.” See the recipe below for added inspiration!
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.eat-yourself-skinny.com
Healthy Cauliflower Fried “Rice”
Serves: 4 Servings
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup carrots, cubed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp. ground ginger
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp green onions, chopped
- Chop head of cauliflower into florets and place in food processor. Pulse until it starts to resemble rice; set aside.
- Heat a large wok (or skillet) over medium heat and drizzle in sesame oil. Add onion, peas and carrots and saute until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and red pepper flakes; set aside.
- Slide veggie mixture to one side of the wok and add in the beaten eggs, scrambling until cooked through and then incorporate with the veggies.
- Stir in cauliflower “rice” and pour the soy sauce over top, mixing well. Cook for an additional 3 to 4 minutes, until cauliflower is soft and tender.
- Top with green onions, serve and enjoy!