There is no time of year I love more than the holidays, unless, of course, it’s Christmas in July. Unfortunately, not only is egg nog a seasonal item that you will not find during the dog days of summer, but traditional commercial products are loaded with fat and sugar. This vegan option uses the creamy texture of bananas and soaked cashews to create the frothy decedent base, and nutritious dates add natural sweetness. Whip some up today and hear the sleigh bells ring. Caroling is optional.
Merry “Christmas in July” Vegan Nog
Yields 4 cups
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked 2+ hours
- 1 large frozen banana
- 2 large Medjool dates
- 1 Tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Soak the cashews for at least 2+ hours, drain, discard the soak water and set aside.
- To blender, add the almond milk, cashews, banana, dates (make sure all pits are removed), coconut oil, maple syrup (optional), vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Blend for 1-3 minutes, or until completely smooth and free of any grit.
- You can drink immediately or pour into a container with an airtight lid and chill.
- Garnish with additional nutmeg or cinnamon stick, if desired
- Should keep for about 2-3 days.